“Shadow: The Magnificent Machines of a Man of Mystery” | Can-Am – Formula One – F5000
This just might be the Motorsport book of the year and surely a very popular one for Canadian Motorsport fans with Shadow’s long history at Mosport and St. Jovite in Can-Am and F5000!
“SHADOW: The Magnificent Machines of a Man of Mystery,” the long-awaited tell-all history of the iconic Shadow race cars and the man behind them, written by award-winning American author Pete Lyons, will be available this summer at Mini Grid.
Enigmatic American Don Nichols, D-Day paratrooper, Army counter-intelligence officer and controversial entrepreneur, went on to create a racing marque that seems as cloaked as the man himself. Shadow was the only U.S.-based team to win a Can-Am championship, and one of only three to score a victory in Formula 1. Yet history lavishly celebrates his nominal rivals Dan Gurney and Roger Penske, while Nichols has long remained, yes, a shadowy figure — despite staying the difficult international course far longer, for 11 racing seasons, 1970 to 1980.
At last, Pete Lyons, who was there in the day, lifts the veil from this secretive man and the innovative, extraordinary, magnificent racing cars and world-class team he created.
- First-ever book revealing the whole story of the iconic ‘black’ Shadows and the Shadowman who made it all happen.
- Coverage of the Can-Am years occupies the book’s first half, from the jaw-dropping radical, low-line car of 1970 and culminating in the championship winner of 1974.
- Formula 1 from 1973–80 fills the book’s second half, highlighted by Alan Jones’s 1977 Austrian Grand Prix victory.
- Also included are sections on Shadow’s Formula 5000 and 2nd-generation Can-Am efforts.
- Author Pete Lyons, an award-winning racing journalist and historian, covered Shadow from the team’s very first race in 1970.
- The text is based on the author’s extensive interviews with the late Don Nichols and many other key members of his organization, including famed drivers George Follmer and Jackie Oliver as well as brilliant car designers Trevor Harris and Tony Southgate.
- Big, beautiful and packed with facts and anecdotes, the book is lavishly illustrated with period photographs.
This will be a very high quality, hard cover and heavy… 464 pages, 600 photos!
If you would like us to reserve a copy: Select the Pre-Order option and proceed to checkout. You will be notified when the book has arrived.
There are no reviews yet.