On the Road with a Sink
Horch – a well-known name in the German automotive industry – established its name most of all with the production of luxury passenger cars for the upper class. In the second half of the 1930s the Horch’ luxury cars were initially powered by a 3.5-liter V8 engine, before the engine displacement was enlarged to 3.8-liters in 1937. With a performance of 92 hp and fitted with an extra gear – the overdrive – these cars allowed their owners to cruise the the newly built German autobahn with a fast pace.
In 1938 the management of Horch realised that it was about time to have a focus on the topic of streamlining. They planned to replace their type 930 V by a completely new version – the type 930 S. The letter “S” stood for streamline and should express, that the classic car design with separately flared fenders, an upright radiator grille, an external spare wheel and external headlights was a thing of the past. Besides meeting the back-then zeitgeist, the optical adjustments and the streamline design had another important effect – a higher top speed and simultaneous reduction of the fuel consumption. In Berlin at the International Motor Show, the streamlined Horch was initially presented to the public in 1939. Of special note, was the built-in sink (with hot water), the special seats with integrated sleeping function and the built-in car radio were the main topics of conversations of this luxury car.
Due to the start of World War II only two (some sources mention three) copies of the 930 S were built at the Zwickau-based factory of Horch. In 1945 four more copies were built out of remaining parts, but the fitted radiator grille differed from the one of the 1939-version.
#04015 resin limited build of 333 1/43 scale